PurposeThe purpose of the Zoning Board of Adjustment is to act as an escape valve for the consideration of interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance. The board determines if the administrative official has created an error in the interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance. The board has the authority to grant relief to the enforcement of provisions of the Zoning Ordinance on a case-by-case basis provided that the board finds that the variance will be in harmony with the general purpose and intent of the zoning ordinance, will not be injurious to the neighborhood or detrimental to the public welfare, and if the applicant can demonstrate:
- That special conditions and circumstances exist which make the land, structure or building unique from others in the same district.
- That literal interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance would deprive the applicant of rights commonly enjoyed by others in the same district.
- That special conditions and circumstances do not result from the actions of the applicant. The hardship cannot be self-created.
- That granting of the variance will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by the ordinance to others in the same district.
AuthorityThe board also has the authority to grant a use that is not permitted by right in a zoning district, but one that the City Council has authorized the board to consider in certain districts, under certain conditions and clearly defined on the plan submitted with the application and one that is wholly compatible with the use and permitted development of adjacent properties.
The board reviews the status of nonconforming uses and permits the reconstruction of nonconforming uses, the resumption of abandoned nonconforming uses, or the discontinuance or amortization of nonconforming uses.
- Magnolia City Hall Council Chambers
- 18111 Buddy Riley Blvd.
- The public is welcome to attend
Members are appointed to a two-year term, unless appointed to fulfill an existing vacancy. Members serve at the will of Council and shall continue to serve until their successors are duly appointed and sworn into office.
Residents interested in serving on this board shall complete an application and submit it to the City Secretary no later than May 1st. Applications will remain on file for one year.
If you have any questions on the appointment process, please contact the City Secretary’s Office at (281) 305-0550.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas will be available by 4:00 p.m. at the latest three days prior to the meeting. Minutes are available following approval.
|Tana Ross||Planning Consultant||(713) 515-0226|